Thursday, September 10, 2015

(6) Assignment 1: Exchangehunt

Oh man, I'm so lagged for this post....

EXCHANGEHUNT (www.exchangehunt.io)
Overall, I'm very pleased with what my team has created! Exchangehunt; basically a website to connect exchange students together. In Exchangehunt, one is able to find others from different universities, see where are these students going for exchange and contact them on the platform. Those who have gone on exchange would understand how useful this portal would be. Just imagine, you are travelling to say Spain for a weekend, and you want to be budget and stay at someone's couch and you are paranoid sleeping at some strangers' couch and you want to know if there's Singaporean exchange student at Spain and.... yeah, something like that. And exchangehunt would come into picture.

Other than the end product, some thoughts:
(1) Team is very impt.
My team is made up of Jingwen (coder), Mingyi (coder) and Seiyee (designer), plus me (business). Probably the most diverse team. The team worked really well together, honestly. Four of us will meet at the same place - and the coders code, while Seiyee and I worked on the UI/UX and design all these stuffs and should there are anything we need to talk about, we just discuss together since we are all present. Really efficient this way and I'm super glad for them that there weren't any drama mama shit at all.

(2) Idea
One of my most important lessons learnt for idea generation:
-Focus on who's your target audience.
-Don't be overly ambitious.
-Don't get too carried away.
I'm glad we were able to scale down Exchangehunt. We were able to focus on and refining the certain features that is intended for the target audiences.
Hmm, I read some blogs that some teams seem to not have consensus over the idea and things were on a rough patch... You need an idea that your team is willing to believe in (even if they don't) to get things going.  Just remember: half hearted means half f*** job. 

(3) Struggles
Hmmm. I struggled when I can't contribute because I'm not a technical person. It's more of an internal struggle. I hate not being able to do things (LOL). But I realised it's all about how I see it.  (Refer to my past posts about all my ramblings of not being able to help a lot.) In Assignment 3, I better found how I can contribute to the team. In fact, i picked up some skills from the coders and designers to effectively communicate and do things.

That's all! :)

Ciao
Mei Lan

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mei Lan,

    Hope you had fun through the creation of ExchangeHunt! I certainly did myself as I have been through a lot in that short span of 3 weeks.

    I couldn't agree more on the importance of having a great team. Having a good team motivates and pushes me to finish strong, even on days where I was in a literal zombie state. lol.

    All the best for assignment 3!
    Ming Yi

    ReplyDelete